cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backplane statistics

jrobert
Level 1
Level 1

We have a cat 4506 chassis with a couple of fiber blades and a copper blade. I've been asked to provide backplane statistics if possible but I can't find any reference to that term. Is it possible to see statistics in pps or bps for the backplane of a chassis switch ?

Are there alternative statistics that will give approximately an idea of backplane traffic ?

Thanks,

Jeff

3 Replies 3

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

I did not find such information. I suggest to use some tools (e.g. MRTG/PTRG) or "sh int /port" to collect statistics and calculate the throughput. Moreover, some of the module may share the bandwidth w/ 8 ports, better check the module specification to calculate it.

Hope this helps.

We have mrtg& prtg to collect. Is there an actual interface for the backplane or are you referring to collecting stats from each ethernet interface & adding for a total ?

As I know there is no command to collect the backplane statistics. Yes, I mean collect those throughput statistics by each Ethernet interface. If you already have the MRTG then you can just add each interface to calculate it. However, normally the backplane will equip more bandwidth than the total bandwidth in modules.

If anyone have any idea, please feel free to advise.

Hope this helps.