cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup Circuit Routing

jsalminen
Level 1
Level 1

My WAN is FR using OSPF. Two of my core sites have a circuit between them that has been knocked out several times last year. In reponse to this I purchased a wireless circuit for backup. I use a PIX 501 in one location and a VPN 3000 in the other to create a LAN to LAN VPN tunnel. This tunnel is only established when the regular FR circuit is down and the default gateways resort to the secondary route (the 501 or 3000). Unfortunately, I have to remove all the normal (static) routes in the 3000 and 501 in order to get these devices to pass traffic across the VPN tunnel to each other. Is there a way I can add this route through the VPN dynamically?

TIA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

When you are using OSPF the best option is to use floating static routes. These are static routes with an administrative distance that is greater than the distance for the OSPF-route. When OSPF fails, the floating static takes over.

You need to run OSPF over your FR to do this.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

When you are using OSPF the best option is to use floating static routes. These are static routes with an administrative distance that is greater than the distance for the OSPF-route. When OSPF fails, the floating static takes over.

You need to run OSPF over your FR to do this.