cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup interface ethernet with a 1710?

tvorhauer
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to have a 1710 with and ADSL-WIC configured with a "backup interface e0". The goal here is to have the DSL line be the primary connection to the WAN and have one of the 2 ethernet interfaces serve as a backup connection to a satellite network.

Thanks in Advance!

3 Replies 3

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

YES..You can configure that..It is just a matter of configuring it under the appropriate on 1710 interface based on the technology (PPPoA, PPPoE,RFC1493 bridging..etc)..Thx..Tejal

cagren
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but we had the same type of situation. Backing uup ethernet interfaces is tough since you need to loose physical connection. We ended up just writing a perl script to manually run the backing up. If it is a static routing issue, it is possible, but not easy. Cisco is supposed to be building in the ability, but you are a little early.

Actually, I am not trying to back up the ethernet interface. I want to use the ethernet interface to back up the DSL interface. I was just told that I could do this with a "backup interface e0" command under the DSL Interface config. I believe we can also use a floating static out the ethernet interface in the event that the DSL interface goes down.

Thanks for the help!