Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Backup LAN

I have a 4507R switch with a 48port 10/100/1000 module. It is presently not connected to the network. I would like to create a small vlan on this switch to connect my production servers, forming a network just for backups. I am new to cisco and was wondering what is the best way to tackle this. Eventually this switch will be connected to the network, but not for now. The only thing doen to the switch so far was to power it up and login via the console port. Thanks for any help.

1 REPLY
VIP Purple

Re: Backup LAN

Hello,

first, I would create the VLAN itself as follows:

Switch#vlan database

Switch(vlan)#vlan 2

VLAN 2 added:

Name: VLAN0002

Then assign ports to the VLAN you have created, in this example interface FastEthernet0/1 is assigned:

Switch#conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

Switch(config)#interface FastEthernet0/1

Switch(config-if)#switchport access vlan 2

This will be sufficient to have your servers in a backup talking to each other. Later on, you probably need to configure inter-VLAN routing, check this document for information on how to configure this:

CISCO CATALYST 4000 SERIES SWITCHES

Configuring Layer 3 Interfaces

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800e467f.html

HTH,

Georg

Views
Helpful
Replies