Views
Helpful
Replies

Baffling Problem with Preparing Network Connections

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

Here is the network layout.......

I have three floors of users. The setup as is now is 1st floor has a Catalyst 4006 switch, 2nd floor has a 3Com Switch, 3rd floor has three 10mb hubs. Here is how every thing is connected at this time....Servers are on the 1st floor and are connected to the 4006 switch. The servers have the speed and duplex hard-coded both on the servers NIC and on the 4006 switch port they are connected to. Users on the first floor are connected directly into the 4006 switch. The users PC and Laptop NIC settings are auto and the switch is hard-coded to 10half for the users ports ( I will explain these settings later). On the second floor, users are directly plugged into the 3Com switch, I do not have the speed and duplex settings for the 3Com as of yet but I do know the users PC and Laptop NIC settings are Auto and the 4006 switch port is 10half. The 3rd floor users are plugged into the hubs and the PC and Laptop NIC settings are Auto and the 4006 switch port is 10half. Now the switches and hubs are connected as follows.....The Catalyst 4006 switch is the main switch, the 2nd floor 3Com switch plugs directly ( via CAT3) into the 4006. The hubs on the 3rd floor are a 3Com hub, Lattisnet Hub, and a Bay Networks Hub. The 3Com hub is daisy chained to the Lattisnet hub and the Lattisnet hub is plugged directly into the 4006 switch ( via CAT5) and port setting is 10half. The Bay Networks hub is plugged directly into the 4006 switch ( via CAT5) and the port setting is 10half.

Now the problem......

We are running Windows XP pro on the desktop and Windows 2000 server on the servers ( no, that's not the problem...quit laughing). When Windows boots up it goes through some steps, one of them being, Preparing Network Connections, and when it gets here it takes 30-40 seconds to get past this, then from there it is very quick, less than 5 seconds. I need to find out why and fix it.

Why I am not sold that this is a Windows problem.....

This happens to the people on the 1st floor and 2nd floor only. The ones connected into the hubs go very quickly through the, Preparing Network Connections, about 5-10 seconds. Also, the servers on the 1st floor connected to the 4006 switch get through, preparing Network Connections, in 5-10 seconds.

Now the kicker.....

I have a Catalyst 4003 switch ready to put in place on the 3rd floor to replace the hubs. The switch has a fiber backbone to the 4006 switch on the 1st floor and all ports are set to 10half. When I take users and move them from the hub to the 4003 switch....the, Preparing Network Connections, jumps from 5-10 second to the 30-40 seconds like everyone else. Also, we have the same, or at least very very close, setup in other offices ( switches...no hubs) and do not have the 30-40 second problem, it runs 5-10 seconds.

Now....Why are the PC's and laptops are set to Auto and the switch set to 10 half....

Believe me I ask the same question all the time....but here is why. We have multiple offices and the offices have everything from CAT3 to CAT5...and even some that run through phone line. Some offices have new wiring so it is very good and others have not-so-good wiring. Their reasoning is that people travel with their laptop from office to office so if we hard-coded everything it would not work because if they came from and office that had good CAT5 wiring and was hard-coded to 100Full and went to another office that had not-so-good CAT3 wiring it would cause problems. So I used Cisco's paper on Troubleshooting Cisco Catalyst Switches to NIC Compatibility Issues. I used Table 1, and looked at the three choices I had where the NIC was set to Auto. Choice one, Switch set to Auto and NIC set to Auto. This would be good if all offices had CAT5 good wiring but we don't so I could not do this one. Choice two, NIC set to Auto and Switch set to 100Mbps Full duplex, not good...duplex mismatch. So this leaves us with choice three, NIC set to Auto and Switch set to 100Mbps Half duplex. This choice defaults down to 10Mbps half duplex so what I did was to set the switch to 10Mbps half instead of 100 half. I am still fighting to hard-code everything and/or upgrade the wiring, but that will be a while.

Any help, thoughts, directions, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the Configs ( both 4003 and 4006).....

4006 config

XXX4006> (enable) show run

This command shows non-default configurations only.

Use 'show config all' to show both default and non-default configurations.

begin

!

# ***** NON-DEFAULT CONFIGURATION *****

!

!

#time: Thu Jul 17 2003, 09:04:53

!

#version 6.4(2)

!

!

#system web interface version(s)

set password XXXXXXXXX

set enablepass XXXXXXXXX

set banner motd ^C

This is a XXXXXXXX computer system that is FOR OFFICIAL XXXXXXXXX USE O

NLY by specifically authorized personnel and includes XXXXXXX confidential

, proprietary and privileged information.

This system may be subject to monitoring.

No expectation of privacy is to be assumed.

Unauthorized attempts to upload download or change information on this system ar

e strictly prohibited and may be punished under applicable law.

Individuals found performing unauthorized activities are subject to disciplinary

action including termination and criminal and civil prosecution.

^C

!

#test

!

#system

set system name XXX4006

set system location XXXXXX

set system contact XXXXXXXXX

!

#frame distribution method

set port channel all distribution mac both

!

#vtp

set vtp domain XXX

set vlan 1 name default type ethernet mtu 1500 said 100001 state active

set vlan 1002 name fddi-default type fddi mtu 1500 said 101002 state active

set vlan 1004 name fddinet-default type fddinet mtu 1500 said 101004 state activ

e stp ieee

set vlan 1005 name trnet-default type trbrf mtu 1500 said 101005 state active st

p ibm

set vlan 1003 name token-ring-default type trcrf mtu 1500 said 101003 state acti

ve mode srb aremaxhop 7 stemaxhop 7 backupcrf off

!

#ip

set interface sc0 1 10.15.1.2/255.255.0.0 10.15.255.255

set interface sl0 10.15.1.4 255.255.0.0

set interface sl0 down

set interface me1 down

set ip route 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 10.15.1.225

set ip alias default 0.0.0.0

!

#syslog

set logging console disable

set logging level ip 2 default

!

#set boot command

set boot config-register 0x2102

set boot system flash bootflash:cat4000.6-4-2.bin

!

#module 1 : 2-port 1000BaseX Supervisor

!

#module 2 : 48-port 10/100BaseTx Ethernet

set port speed 2/11-22,2/25-48 10

set port speed 2/1-9,2/23-24 100

set port duplex 2/1-8,2/23-24 full

!

#module 3 : 48-port 10/100BaseTx Ethernet

set port speed 3/1-48 10

!

#module 4 : 48-port 10/100BaseTx Ethernet

set port speed 4/1-48 10

!

#module 5 : 48-port 10/100BaseTx Ethernet

set port speed 5/1-48 10

!

#module 6 : 48-port 10/100BaseTx Ethernet

set port speed 6/1-48 10

end

XXX4006> (enable)

4003 config

XXX4003> (enable) show run

This command shows non-default configurations only.

Use 'show config all' to show both default and non-default configurations.

begin

!

# ***** NON-DEFAULT CONFIGURATION *****

!

!

#time: Thu Jul 17 2003, 09:05:40

!

#version 6.4(2)

!

!

#system web interface version(s)

set password XXXXXXXXXX

set enablepass XXXXXXXXXX

set banner motd ^C

This is a XXXXXXX computer system that is FOR OFFICIAL XXXXXXX USE O

NLY by specifically authorized personnel and includes XXXXXXXXX confidential

, proprietary and privileged information.

This system may be subject to monitoring.

No expectation of privacy is to be assumed.

Unauthorized attempts to upload download or change information on this system ar

e strictly prohibited and may be punished under applicable law.

Individuals found performing unauthorized activities are subject to disciplinary

action including termination and criminal and civil prosecution.

^C

!

#test

!

#system

set system name XXX4003

set system contact XXXXXXXXXX

!

#frame distribution method

set port channel all distribution mac both

!

#vtp

set vtp domain XXX

set vtp mode client

!

#ip

set interface sc0 1 10.15.1.3/255.255.0.0 10.15.255.255

set interface sl0 down

set interface me1 down

set ip route 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 10.15.1.225

set ip alias default 0.0.0.0

!

#syslog

set logging console disable

set logging level ip 2 default

!

#set boot command

set boot config-register 0x2102

set boot system flash bootflash:cat4000.6-4-2.bin

!

#module 1 : 0-port Switching Supervisor

!

#module 2 : 48-port 10/100BaseTx Ethernet

!

#module 3 : 34-port 10/100/1000 Ethernet

end

XXX4003> (enable)

Thank you,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

If this is happening to users that are directly connected to a switch , then try to enable prt fast on the user ports on the switch , this forces the ports to go directly to forwarding instead on going through the spanning tree algorithm approx 40 secs.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

If this is happening to users that are directly connected to a switch , then try to enable prt fast on the user ports on the switch , this forces the ports to go directly to forwarding instead on going through the spanning tree algorithm approx 40 secs.

Thank you....it makes sense. I just looked at the config of another switch and that is set. I do have one question before I do this......when I do this does it effect the users? i.e. will they get knocked off or is it un-noticable to them?

thank you,

Mike

This worked half way.....it cut the time down from 40 seconds to about 18 seconds. I did some more investigation and tried --- set port channel (mod/port) mode off --- and that finsihed it off. I now have it down to normal, 4-7 seconds. I am a happy camper! Thank you for your help.

Mike

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

Thank you....it makes sense. I just looked at the config of another switch and that is set. I do have one question before I do this......when I do this does it effect the users? i.e. will they get knocked off or is it un-noticable to them?

thank you,

Mike

not sure , I would suggest plugging in a laptop to a sw port then apply it to this port only see if it affects that port if not then implement .

Great minds think alike.... :-)

After I posted (twice...sorry about that) I was going to do just that. I will let you know if that works.

Thank you again.

Mike