cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Allocation

gpong
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1.5mbps PPP connection from the carrier connected to the Serial interface of my 2650 router. I would like to allocate 256k for handling traffic for just several IP addresses and the rest for all other traffics, how can I configure my router to do that?

Can this be done just on my router or it needs to be done on the carrier's side as well?

7 Replies 7

benjamingarcia
Level 1
Level 1

Im not sure if this support PPP but you can look on Generic Traffic Shaping for more details. I used this one on ethernet & frame relay before. With this feature, you can limit the bandwidth per destination defined by the access-list.

Check this link: http://www-search.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/search/public.pl?q=generic+traffic+shaping&sa=Go&num=10&searchselector=0

mazhar71
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can configure bandwidth limitation for your outgoing/incoming traffic using "rate-limit" command. You can apply an rate-limit as outside with an access-list containing source IP's and another rate-limit as inside with another access-list destination to those source IPs.

Regards

Hi Mazhar,

Have you got a good web link which demonstrates the rate-limit feature.

Regards

Karl

Thankyou very much for your suggestion. If possbile can you show me a little example of how this should be done?

I really appreciate for your help

I have done some research on rate-limit on CAR. I found out that CAR is only supported on the 7xxx Series routers. In my case I am configuring for a 2650 router, is there another solution this problem?

kmuthukamu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can try by allocationg bandwidth for serial interfaces based on your traffic requirement.

Interface command "bandwidth <0-10000000>" will be of use.

Hope it helps.

-Kanchi

Kanchi,

You are joking, correct?