Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Bandwidth between Routers

I am being told that between cisco routers if there is only one user they only can take up to 50% of the bandwidth, not 100%....and when a second user comes on they could take the other 50%...and then they get bumped down as more users come on line....is this corret? If it is why can't the first user take all 100% and then get bumped down as a second user comes on line. I am trying to find the documentation on this so I can understand it better. I am told this is only for Cisco routers.

Thanks,

Mike

6 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Bandwidth between Routers

By default there is no limitation on a users use of bandwidth.

A user can use 100% of a line and if a second user comes along the traffic is not in any way split 50-50. It will depend on lots of factors as to how the split is done.

Cisco does have something called fair-queue on slower lines but this just make interactive traffic a little more preferred but does not have a lot of effect on the bandwidth each user gets.

Thanks for the responce. Are there any tools or anything I can use that would prove or show I could take all the bandwidth between the routers?

Silver

If there is such situation, it may be configured the rate-limit (Committed Access Rate) to limit the access bandwidth at that link.We normally user CAR to label the DSCP, IP precedence, etc.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk545/tk764/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html

Thanks for the responce. Are there any tools or anything I can use that would prove or show I could take all the bandwidth between the routers?

Purple

You can use (free) tools such as iPerf to load up the link:

http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/

Paresh

Silver

Yes, it is good and simple tool. You need a server and a client role PC at two ends. If the PC is fast enough, you can setup multiple tasks to test the link, it is DOS-based program.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content