cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Limit

p.dryfuss
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2620 configured with static NAT, fast ethernet on the inside, and a 512K fractional T1 line on the outside. For some reason I am only seeing up to 64K throughput and then it goes no higher. When I kick in a download or whatever I watch the meter go up to 64 and then hang there consistently regardless of what or where I am downloading from. If I try and do 2 things at once, they split that 64K down the middle so I am really pegged at 64K. The provider said that they tested from their end and the circuit can carry the full 512K so whats up?

Is there somehing in the 2620/NAT or whatever that could be causing this bandwidth wall of 64K?

Worktations are Win NT.

4 Replies 4

svermill
Level 4
Level 4

I suspect that the "meter" you are looking at is on a Windows platform or something? Those are almost always in bytes. Your serial line is 512k bits. So 64 * 8 = 512. You are doing just fine.

Regards

No, the metering is in KiloBytes per second and believe me if I was seeing 512KBs downloads I would not be able to mistake it. There is something wrong and am trying to figure out where it is, maybe its the NIC.

I am sorry, I just realized what you were saying and is a T1 1.544 Kbits? Then maybe everything is fine? I guess I may need to upgrade to a full T1 then. Sorry about the other post.

No problem. And yes, a T1 is 1.544 kbits. This issue happens all the time because different platforms measure traffic in different (but very similar looking) units. I do a lot of network trending and it is quite common that the info I get from the customer would suggest that they are pushing eight times the data accross a link than they should be able to. Usually, kb is bits and kB is bytes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: