cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Limit

p.dryfuss
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2620 configured with static NAT, fast ethernet on the inside, and a 512K fractional T1 line on the outside. For some reason I am only seeing up to 64K throughput and then it goes no higher. When I kick in a download or whatever I watch the meter go up to 64 and then hang there consistently regardless of what or where I am downloading from. If I try and do 2 things at once, they split that 64K down the middle so I am really pegged at 64K. The provider said that they tested from their end and the circuit can carry the full 512K so whats up?

Is there somehing in the 2620/NAT or whatever that could be causing this bandwidth wall of 64K?

Worktations are Win NT.

4 Replies 4

svermill
Level 4
Level 4

I suspect that the "meter" you are looking at is on a Windows platform or something? Those are almost always in bytes. Your serial line is 512k bits. So 64 * 8 = 512. You are doing just fine.

Regards

No, the metering is in KiloBytes per second and believe me if I was seeing 512KBs downloads I would not be able to mistake it. There is something wrong and am trying to figure out where it is, maybe its the NIC.

I am sorry, I just realized what you were saying and is a T1 1.544 Kbits? Then maybe everything is fine? I guess I may need to upgrade to a full T1 then. Sorry about the other post.

No problem. And yes, a T1 is 1.544 kbits. This issue happens all the time because different platforms measure traffic in different (but very similar looking) units. I do a lot of network trending and it is quite common that the info I get from the customer would suggest that they are pushing eight times the data accross a link than they should be able to. Usually, kb is bits and kB is bytes.