Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Measurement

e.hulu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.. There

I have switch 2900 xl and some fast hub 100 bt, my question how do I know what of bandwidth size I use for each port, if there is a software so know it ?

5 Replies 5

dwtomblin
Level 1
Level 1

For spot-checking a five min average of packets/sec is listed in the Cisco command: Show Interface. For monitoring base line information over a period of time any good SNMP manager like SNMPC will work. A low cost alternative for smaller shops is MRTG (www.mrtg.org). It runs on UNIX, LINUX and that virus sponge called NT. We use it to monitor over sixty ports across nine different switches and routers with an old Pentium Pro 200. It reads the SNMP information from the device an creates a graph and a web page to display it.

Dave T

Hi Dave,

could you help me in this..?

Do you hv idea how can anyone measure the Bandwith getting it from ISP..see, we hv 2mb Leased line from ISP...how do we check whether we are getting the same b/w or Less one?

cmds in Swithc Router will sh you a incoming and outgoing traffic only...

Hi Rajan,

There's only one way you can measure the available bandwidth given by ISP, that is push it to its full limits.

So if you have a 2 Mbps line, you have to send 2mega bits per sec of datagrams over the line and monitor to see that there are no drops, you can change the "load-interval" argument in cisco router to 60sec, so it would give you 1 min input/output rate in "show interface output", you can verify that it is touching 2mbps or not.

thks for ur reply..i hv changed to 60sec load interval.u meant o say that output rate shd show 2mbps when i send a 2mb data...right?.now i am getting o/p of around 250K only..

one more thing when we downlad 2mb data, it tooks too long..tranfer rate is 12 to 15Killo Bytes only(ie aroud 90kb)...its 2mb i shd get a transfer rate of atleast 1.5 plus na?

how do i distribute my 2mb to fa0 and fa1 in 2621..i want 128k to fa1 and remanis to fa1.

pls reply..

Hi Rajan,

Just search in google.com, you get n no. softwares which can load your line according to configured percantage.

Just pick one of them and try pumping 2000Kbits per sec, (You need to define percentage, so try 100% of line speed in the software), you should see your input/output rate touching 2mbps in a min. or two.

as far as download is concerned, you shud get full

2Mbps pipe, if not, check for errors, or drops.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: