cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth over utillised

amacdos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there , I am still new in networking .

I am facing a bandwidth over utilised problem to a remote site . When I ping the eo interfaces at some time , they will be a lot of time out and , I tried pinging a server , it gave the same result .

I have checked with my service provider . But they say , my line is over utilised . The serial interface is almost 90 % utilised .

The question is how do I know , or how to check from my router that the Serial interface is fully utilised or the internal traffic is high . Should I check the Ethernet interface also ?

Any commands to check ....

Please help .

8 Replies 8

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Firstly, configure the following command under your serial interface: load-interval 30

Then, issue the 'show interfaces serial x/y' command and see what input/output rate you are running on that line. That will tell you whether or not you have too much traffic on that link.

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

Thanks for your prompt reply . I am afraid I can't make any changes in the router , because the router belong to our ISP . I have only read access .

I did not get you , what is the input/output rate ..

Below is the output from my serial interface

Serial0 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is PowerQUICC Serial

Description: Cisco

Internet address is 1.1.1.1

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 128 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 41/255, rxload 93/255

Encapsulation HDLC, loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

Last input 00:00:00, output 00:00:00, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters 8w6d

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 13106

Queueing strategy: weighted fair

Output queue: 0/1000/64/13106 (size/max total/threshold/drops)

Conversations 0/17/32 (active/max active/max total)

Reserved Conversations 1/1 (allocated/max allocated)

Available Bandwidth 88 kilobits/sec

5 minute input rate 47000 bits/sec, 28 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 21000 bits/sec, 43 packets/sec

41504534 packets input, 2178405105 bytes, 0 no buffer

Received 545100 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort

54043477 packets output, 483672500 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 1 interface resets

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

0 carrier transitions

DCD=up DSR=up DTR=up RTS=up CTS=up

Clerify with me , sorry , i am still new ...

Hi,

The two lines that you need to look at are:

5 minute input rate 47000 bits/sec, 28 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 21000 bits/sec, 43 packets/sec

That shows that you are receiving traffic at roughly 47k on the link and sending it at 21k at the instant that you issue the command.

The rates are a moving average over 5 minutes so might not be all that accurate which is where the load-interval command would have helped.

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

Thanks again Parish ,

Check with you ,the 5 minute input rate 47k means the internal traffic from E0 to S0 , is 47 k and from S0 to Internet is 21 k . which is the output rate . So does that mean , the SO is not fully utilised .

What will be rate look alike if the traffic from the Internet is high ...

Sorry , just asking , because I am not very sure .

Technically, it means that you have 47k of traffic leaving the S0 interface. In your case, if the only other interface is E0, the bulk of that traffic is likely to be that which enters the router through E0. There could be a small amount of traffic that is generated by the router itself if you are running a routing protocol or something.

AS I mentioned, the value is an average which seems to indicate that you are not really smashing the interface. But there could be times when the peak traffic hits the maximum rate of the interface .. however, over time the average comes out to be a bit lower.

If the interface is a 128k interface, a 5-minute rate of around 90-100k or even higher could indicate that you are driving the interface hard.

Pls do take the time to rate posts ...

Regards,

Paresh

Hi Parish ,

My Router have two int , E0 and S0 .

Can i say the traffic is 47k is input (outbound traffic ) or (inbound traffic) and 21k output

Sorry , I am not familiar with traffic flow whichever is inbound and outbound , on which interface.

Hi again,

The 47k is input on the serial interface. As far as your site is concerned, this is 47k of inbound traffic. And the 21k is 21k of outbound traffic.

You have to look at the type of interface and interpret it accordingly. So here is your setup:

LAN --- E0 of router__S0 of router --- WAN link

When you look at the output of show interface for the two interfaces, this is how you interpret it:

Firstly, let's say that inbound/outbound is from the perspective of your site.

For the E0 interface:

- input rate indicates rate of traffic from your LAN heading out to the WAN link (outbound)

- output rate indicates rate of traffic from the WAN heading to your LAN (inbound)

For the S0 interface:

- output rate indicates rate of traffic from the WAN heading to your LAN (inbound)

- input rate indicates rate of traffic from your LAN heading out to the WAN link (outbound)

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Thank you very much , Paresh . Now I understand the traffic flow from WAN to LAN .

Nobody had explained to me , in a very simple and good manner .

I will monitor my serial and ethernet line , as you have told me .