Helpful
Replies

bandwidth problem

madhusudanr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My mane is madhusudan.

in my college , i have taken 128 kbps 1:1 leased line .

We have total 48 systems connected to the d link

Switch.

Problem is most of the time internet speed is very low and its difficult to browse the net.

We use the net only for browsing purposes,

In router uplink at e 0 interface its showing 130kbps.

But at the each systems the download speed will be 3 kB.

I want advice to choose the best internet speed.

2 Replies 2

Which D-Link switch (model) are you using exactly ? One of your systems might be hogging the bandwidth, can you check the switch for MAC addresses and where the traffic comes from ?

Regards,

Georg

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Assuming you've ruled out oversubscription (48 users concurrently on 128K may be a bit much), you may want to check out your cabling.

If the cables were not terminiated according to the EIA/TIA 568A (or 568b) spec, performance will suffer.

If your PC - PC transfers are also slow, then cabling would be the prime suspect.

With the clip down / away from you, from left-to-right, the colors should be:

orange-white, orange, green-white, blue, blue-white, green, white-brown, brown (this is 568B) Also note that the blue pair is reversed, compared to the other pairs (blue, blue-white).

EIA/TIA 568A is the same, except the orange and green pairs are exchanged in position.

Just having the colors match at each end is not good enough. If the connectors are set up with pair,pair,pair,pair (regardless of the color order), if creates a split pair on pins 3&6, which negates the advantages of twisted pair (one wire of one color is transmitting, another wire of another pair is receiving ... it kills the crosstalk and noise-cancelling effect of the twisted pair).

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: