cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

bandwidth statement

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Can anyone tell me why we put this on our interfaces ?

10 Replies 10

Patrick Laidlaw
Level 4
Level 4

Carl,

The bandwidth statement is there so that your routing protocol actually knows how much bandwith is available to use.

Patrick

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Put on the interfaces to be used as one of the fields when routing protocol calculates the best path if not given it takes the defualt speed of the port or the speed of the link which ever is less by default .

HTH

regards

Neo

Hi there

So I have 2 serial connections with the same bandwidth it will load balance right, If I change this statement to a higher bandwidth will it use that link or would it un-equal cost load balance ?

Hope this link helps you http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/46.html

regards

Neo

So the "bandwidth" command under interface is just informational only and doesn't really assign bandwidth to the interface?

Correct.

Otherwise, rate-limiting an interface would be so much easier ;-)

-Bobby

The bandwidth command certainly does not change the physical characteristics of the interface or affect the actual throughput of the interface.

In addition to routing protocols that use bandwidth in their calculation of metrics (EIGRP and OSPF) the bandwidth (configured or default) is used to calculate the load on the interface. Anyone who monitors load of interfaces (gathered by show command, or by SNMP for network reporting and things like MRTG) should be careful that the bandwidth assigned to the interface is realistic.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I was told that the bandwidth can be changed to manipulate the path for eigrp ?

If you change the configured bandwidth it may change the calculated EIGRP metric.

For several reasons I believe that if you want to change the EIGRP calculated metric it is better to manipulate the interface delay.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

imranmohd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Carl,

An interface of a router bydefault uses only 75% of available bandwith on a router.

bandwidth command enables a router to utilize the bandwidth specified in the statement.

For example you have a 2mb link, the statement would be

conf t

int s0

bandwidth 2000........(kb)

Pls rate if works.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: