Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

basic config question

hi, i have set up a cisco 2611xm router with basic config (passwords for secret, con 0, vty 0 4,) when i go in through the console port i am prompted for the con password and then to enter priviledged exec mode i have to enter the secret password. All is as it should be until i go in via telnet, i am prompted for the vty password but upon entering this it takes me directly into privelidged exec mode bypassing the secret password prompt. What am i missing? i use this config on the cisco switches without any probs.

please help!!

5 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: basic config question

Hello,

what does your VTY configuration look like ? It should be this:

enable password cisco

!

line vty 0 4

password cisco

login

Regards,

Georg

I am not in front of it but i am pretty sure that this is the config i put in. i did try putting the login then the password but got an error saying that i had to put the password in first, this was done. Like i say, the vty password works i just want to be prompted for the enable secret password once in, but it just takes me into privelidged exec. I read on cisco tonight about the enable secret level command, could this be it? if i enter enable secret level 15 then the password maybe this will work, dunno, i'm scratching my head.

sorted this, in IOS 12.3 there are privelige levels on passwords. I had to type:

line vty 0 4

privelige level 1

password xxxxxx

login

just in case anyone else has the same problem.

Hi cro9uk,

Did you use the same pwd for the vty and enable?

R/S

Dave

sorry dave, just seen the post. No i did not use the same passwords. I used the same password for vty as con 0.this being the first prompt when accessing the router via the console port. I only used the enable secret password after that

Views
Helpful
Replies