Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Basic Default Route Question

Hi,

I have a very basic question I wanted to run by everyone to make sure my understanding is correct.

Setup:

Basic config, router with two interfaces and a single default route.

hostname RTR1

!

interface Ethernet0/0

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface Ethernet0/1

ip address 1.1.2.1 255.255.255.0

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.2.2

add -> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.10.1

If I add a default route (currently in a telnet session coming through 1.1.2.2 to get to RTR1) to a gateway that is NOT locally connected nothing will happen, correct? The router won't try to load balance my traffic since the second gateway is not directly connected and reachable, correct?

Next, if I change the IP address on e0/1 to 10.10.10.2/24 then my default route of 1.1.2.2 will no longer be used and my 10.10.10.1 defaut route will become active, correct?

I can then connect using my new IP of 10.10.10.2 assuming all routing is working on my new default gateway, correct?

Basically, I'm making sure my understanding of the default gateway route not being used unless it is accessible is valid. If it is, it will load balance traffic across up to 6 of them.

Please comment or correct if my understanding is incorrect.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Basic Default Route Question

Jamie

I believe that most of your understanding is ok especially about not load sharing over the routes as defined. I checked it on a router and only the default route with a reachable next hop is inserted into the routing table. Both static default routes are in the config but only one is in the routing table.

HTH

Rick

Re: Basic Default Route Question

Rick,

Thanks for the reply.

-Jamie

Views
Helpful
Replies