cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic Question

js358
Level 1
Level 1

Just starting out with Cisco routers and have a very basic question. After configuring a 1720 via console, I have issued command copy running-config satrup-config etc. Issued wr command and when I power down and power back up, I'm back to the basic setup screen.

Am I doing something wrong here or is there a prblem with the router. I was under the impression that the above was the way to save your config changes.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

jamey
Level 4
Level 4

copy running-config startup-config is the same thing as write mem. write mem is the older command.

If you've configured the router, and saved the config and rebooted it and your config is gone, it's possible your config-register is set incorrectly.

1. Answer no to the setup screen.

2. type sh ver

You'll see a setting down near the end of the output that probably says something like this:

Configuration register is 0x2142

If the config register is set to 0x2142 the router will ignore the startup config. People usually do this when they are trying to recover a lost enable password.

To fix:

1. conf t

2. config-reg 0x2102

3. configure the router (you can type in the command setup at the # prompt (priv exec mode).

4. save the config with write mem or copy running-config startup-config

5. reboot router.

You should be good to go...

-HTH

Thanks, that did the trick. If your router is already configured with reg set to 0x2142, is there anyway to reset it to 0x2102 without loosing the config?

Thanks again.

Ah yes, I forgot you already configured the router. You could've just answered no to the setup screen, changed the config-reg, answered N to the "config has changed, save? (y/n)" prompt and you would've had your old config.

Thanks again, you've been a big help