Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Basic Question

Dears,

There are 2 expressions that I often hear in our network team: front-end and back-end. What exactly are those terms about?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Basic Question

Hi

All the end users get connected to the front end devices which will be in various locations and the the traffic will get aggregated to the other level or to the higher end boxes which is also placed in major SP premises which will get u to the other part of the internetworld..

Also backend deals or contains a vast explaination within the single word which covers the basic infrastructure to the kinda equipments/devices installed/used to support the network..

if u talk inline with the support context then its frontend who faces the customers handles the customers.

Backend again will be supporting the frontend to provide or to have the complete support structure...

regds

5 REPLIES
Purple

Hi,

Quoting from wikipedia:

"In software design, the front-end is the part of a software system that deals with the user, and the back-end is the part that processes the input from the front-end. The separation of software systems into "front ends" and "back ends" is a kind of abstraction that helps to keep different parts of the system separated"

Hope that helps,

Paresh.

Ok, so in networking terms... front end is the part of the network exposed to internet? and back end what would it be?

Thanks!

Hi

I feel frontend is something like where the end users both retail/enterprise gets connected and backend the SP backbone which gets u connect to the internetworld or to the other networks..

regds

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. After reading your comments, I suppose front end is related to the part of the network "exposed" to internet or some public services where all users get connected.

But I still don't get the idea of back-end... can you define it with a strict definition?

Thanks.

Mariano.

Hi

All the end users get connected to the front end devices which will be in various locations and the the traffic will get aggregated to the other level or to the higher end boxes which is also placed in major SP premises which will get u to the other part of the internetworld..

Also backend deals or contains a vast explaination within the single word which covers the basic infrastructure to the kinda equipments/devices installed/used to support the network..

if u talk inline with the support context then its frontend who faces the customers handles the customers.

Backend again will be supporting the frontend to provide or to have the complete support structure...

regds

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content