Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

BCST suppression

I have a cat 6506 that I will connect a Nortel pbx to for VoIP traffic. The pbx cannot tolerate normal levels of LAN broadcasts from the other 200+ nodes. I found a command in catos (set port broadcast mod/port threshold%) that seems to suppress bcsts. I am wondering if this filters out bcsts being forwarded into the switch port for the PBX or does this filter bcsts coming from the switch port of the PBX.

My other option is to create a vlan, but I'd rather not for just one switch port.

TIA

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: BCST suppression

The suppression circuitry monitors packets passing from an interface to the switching bus, so this would just measure/constrain BCAST from your PBX if placed on your PBX interface. If this host is this sensitive ,I'd make another VLAn for it. Broadcast suppression can have adverse effects as well.. Some BCasts are good and should not be dropped and can result in application /communication problems.

Here's a link about Broadcast Suppression.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007f63f.html

Hope this helps,

Don

Views
Helpful
Replies