ashishrohilla
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need to design a LAN which would consist of following switches

2 core switches 6500

3 distribution switches 4507

rest access switches

Now this network would be connected to another LAN which is the main site. Core switches running at that main site are in OSPF Area 0 and each site is also having 2 cores and many distributions, so cores at all the sites connects to the main site core thru Gigabit these all cores are in area 0,. This new LAN which needs to be designed should also be having the same model. Means core would be configured as ospf area 0 and these will be connected to main site core switches which are also in area 0. Other requirement is vlans should be restricted in wiring closets.

Now i am not able to decide whether i should configure distribution and access switches also with ospf and put 3 distributions in 3 different areas means fully routed or should i configure l2 connectivity between distribution and access, but in that condition i will not b able to restric vlans to wiring closet. Pls suggest what would be the best possible design.

Regards

Puru

4 Replies 4

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

nhedhili
Level 1
Level 1

hello all,

regarding this configuration I have a question about a particular case that I m facing, which is the fact that I have a router running ospf , it will be moved andlocated located in remote building in the future that roujter is connected to remote catalyst 3750 switch running smi software, this switch will be connected via 802.1q trunck to 6500 catalyst with sup720and msfc, the 6500 is acting as an ABR, the question is does the svi, virtual interface configured on the 6500 , wich will be dedicated to vlan used by the router on the remote switch forward ospf to the remote router via the swith on the 802.1q link or I m obliged to configure Layer 3 physical interface

if it is the case does the l3 interface must be put on the same vlan or no if you see other possibilities thanks for your help

Hi,

As long as you have configured the link to the router to be in the same VLAN as you used at the original site, you should not have to configure a Layer 3 interface. The router will be reached via your 802.1 link.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Thanks, for your answer,

yes of course, but does the svi interface forward the ospf traffic to the router and there will be adjacencies between them or no ?

really the question is about the svi interface, does it exchange ospf traffic with the devices connected to the vlan either directly or via 802.1q links or not ?

Thanks again for the assistance

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: