Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Home Hosting Box?

jwynacht
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to determine what the best router is for doing home hosting/biz.

It seems given my ADSL connection and router from SBC that the 1711 would serve my needs best but the Cisco Small Business Network Designer suggested a 1721.

Anybody have any preferences here and if so, why?

Thanks muchly!

Jon

7 Replies 7

blazesod
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jon,

I would use a secure PIX 501 or 515 Firewall to do basic routing and establish a DMZ.

R/S

Dave

515 for a home buisiness setup? isn't that a bit of an overkill?

what about just doing port forwarding on... say a 831 or something?

lots of people don't like the 800-series devices, but i've never had any issues with them. they're great little boxes.

I agree that the 515 is probably overkill for a home based business but if there is going to be a server that customers hit from the Internet I would probably recommend this as well. What else is going to give that 3rd interface to (more) securely hang a web server off of? Some of the higher end routers will but then they are not dedicated to security like the PIX. A low end router like a 1700 series with a PIX behind it would be best in my humble opinion but as you can see by the rankings I am sucking eggs this month! :)

what about a 831 w/ the FW feature set, with port forwarding?

can someone explain to me why port forwarding isn't favored over a DMZ? afterall, doesn't a DMZ open everything to outside access, where port forwarding only opens particular ports for access?

Thanks for all the replies...good info here. This is what the Cisco Small Business Network diagrammed for me:

http://www.ciscoretail.com/sbnd/child/1.0/results.asp?configid=30365&dt=2%2F9%2F2004+7%3A56%3A01+PM&cdt=2%2F9%2F2004+7%3A53%3A28+PM

It seems like the 1721 is the way to go and from folks to talked to at Cisco the firewall it uses will work well for setting up a DMZ with only one server.

The PIX is a good idea though, I'll have to give it some thought.

Thanks!

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

For home business..you could use a 1700. 1721 is better than the rest probably because it has many supported features which the rest doesnt support. More supported hardware, software features etc.

I would also suggest using a PIX 501 or 506. It can do PPPOE, vpn, provide you excellent firewalling, a 4 port switch on the inside, 10 Mbps connection on the outside. They are cheaper in price too..You wont get a dmz with 501 or 506.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

n2-goes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Jon,

I have looked at these routers and I will be using a Cisco 1711 for my business. It uses a Firewall and IDS IOS. IT can terminates VPN. It is also a switch with 802.1Q vlans.

For a small business, it is a lot in 1 device.

Regards,

Nadine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: