cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

best network server OS?

pdiederich
Level 1
Level 1

I am thinking of running Netware as opposed to Win2K...i don't need a webserver, it will mainly be a file server with internet connection sharing available...so would Novell Netware be a smart choice? I know of linux and Unix, but i want to learn those ones on my own before i install and try to run my dad's company network. small interoffice network, only 12 pc's max. for right now.

Thanks,

Phil

11 Replies 11

kminihan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Phil

I'd highly recommend Novell ahead of Win2k any day of the week. As a network OS, it can't be beaten. What version of Novell do you intend using? For a small office with only 12 users, then you don't really need all the "bells and whistles".

I'm looking into Netware for Small Business's, at least i think that's what it is called. I downloaded a trial version of it or a beta, and i'm going to put that on one of my computers at home and familiarize myself with it. In my mind I was thinking Novell, but I was wondering what the tried and true professionals thought.

Thanks for your input.

Phil

dgcampbell
Level 1
Level 1

I work with both Netware and NT/2000 quite a bit and feel Netware is a much better OS. It is more stable, faster, and more secure than Microsoft. I try to push my clients to choose Netware because of these facts.

Are there any quirks or shortcuts that you might be able to briefly "school" me in? Like I said before, I have a beta, I believe it is, version of Netware for Small Business' so I am planning on learning myself at home. But any additional help that you can dish out, with regards to this particular OS, would be greatly appreciated.

Phil

vilord
Level 1
Level 1

I have worked with a number of businesses and colleges, and I have found the following:

The place I worked that used Netware, although it was stable, it was reasonably difficult to use/set up.

The places I have worked that used Windows NT/2K were constantly having to perform maintenance on the systems to keep them operating properly.

The places I have worked that used FreeBSD and Linux, once set up, which is easier in my experience than is Netware, the systems were extremely stable and scalable, and if in the future you wanted to add just about any service, you could do so easily and free of charge.

Jesse Campbell

I would use those if I knew them. I don't, however, i will be learning how to use linux in the near future.

phil

jgalietta
Level 1
Level 1

Linux may provide your lowest cost of ownership. Since you did state that this is for a small business and you are an intimate part of it you should have a bit more latitude while deploying the server. There is a wealth of information to be found on installing Linux and setting it up for a small office. The large support community and the fact that most support is free cuts way down on maintenance budgets. The add on applications for insuring security (firewall, IDS, logging, log analysis, network management, etc.) are also free. I would seriously recomend Linux (RedHat is my personal preference) for the OS with Samba running for file and print services. Add a small DSL or ISDN conneciton to the Net with an 800 or 1700 router that does NAT and firewalling or build your own Linux router/firewall and you will have a network that is flexible, scaleable and inexpensive. Remember you can run Linux on an old 486 or what ever spare or recycled equipment you have. I have a Linux server that has been running file and print services in my home for 6 users for a year without a reboot or serious error. Support time is minimal. And it is running on a 486/66 motherboard with an Evergreen 5x86/133 upgrade chip.

Asking OS preferences can be akin to starting a holy war...

rmaslanka
Level 1
Level 1

Our office runs Novell, WINNT 4.0, and Linux.

For basic file and print functionallity, I vote for Novell. For ease of setup and administration, I vote for WINNT. For you, I might suggest a Linux based "appliance". You will get great functionallity with easy setup and administration, at a fraction of the cost of either of the others. I deal with a local Linux based small business server manufacturer who I'd be glad to refer you to, but there are several out there to choose from.

rmaslanka@yahoo.com

dseth
Level 1
Level 1

The final decision is up to you. I've used all of the Os's to great extents and every one of them has their advantages and shortcomings. I like Novell because of the security it provides, yes it's tough sometimes to set up but as long as you do it correctly it will run for years without a hiccup. Windows NT/2K/XP is great for "point and click" admins, setup is easy, administration is easy, but you'll have alot of service packs and security updates along the way. Linux is good becuase it's free, works great for a tight stringed IT budget, but most of the programs have lackluster tech support or are buggy, but the OS itself is rock solid. Anyhoot to get back to the point I would start with Novell cause it's will grow as the company grows, as long as you plan it out right, and Novell has a port for Linux also if you plan on implementing it in the future.

dseth
Level 1
Level 1

The final decision is up to you. I've used all of the Os's to great extents and every one of them has their advantages and shortcomings. I like Novell because of the security it provides, yes it's tough sometimes to set up but as long as you do it correctly it will run for years without a hiccup. Windows NT/2K/XP is great for "point and click" admins, setup is easy, administration is easy, but you'll have alot of service packs and security updates along the way. Linux is good becuase it's free, works great for a tight stringed IT budget, but most of the programs have lackluster tech support or are buggy, but the OS itself is rock solid. Anyhoot to get back to the point I would start with Novell cause it's will grow as the company grows, as long as you plan it out right, and Novell has a port for Linux also if you plan on implementing it in the future.

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

I definately vote for Novell if your function will be file/print sharing.

After teaching both Microsoft and Novell classes for years, I believe I have a pretty good feel for both.

I agree with you also that Linux (though probably a better choice technically) is not what you're looking for since it will need to be maintained; and your desire to learn/support it seems lacking :)

Mick.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: