Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best place to connect a customer router to network

Hi,

Where is the best place to connect a customer provided router to a network that has an existing 2821 V3PN bundle (CISCO2821-V3PN/K9)? 2821 is the only device infront of Internet.

The network (branch office) and the customer's network will be connected through a leased line. As per the contract with our customer, we are obligated to run one client software application inside our LAN that connects to the server in our customer's network.

Grateful if someone can provide some solution or at least some lead.

Regards, Archie

4 REPLIES

Re: best place to connect a customer router to network

Hi

Would require more info on the kinda setup with the new router which ur planning to place out there..

1. whts the ip addressing scheme you are planning to use for this LL and also for the customer ?

2.is this going to be a direct P2P link connecting ur locations or gonna be via some SP ?

3.Also do u have any security devices like pix or ASA out there in ur local lan behind ur 2821 so that u can have ur idc or server placed behind ? or only the 2821 caters all connectivity as well as security requirement ?

regds

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

1. I'm not sure but I would assume that we can use private IP addresses for the data leased line, can we?

2. It's a Point-to-Point (if that's what you mean by P2P) between our branch office network and customer's network.

3. As mentioned on my post, the current setup has only the 2821 infront of the Internet which caters all the connectivity (Internet), security as well IP Telephony requirements.

I can put the new router side-by-side to the 2821 and put the LAN facing interface on the same network as the private LAN. If I do that way, I'm not sure if I can route the packets from the client application in our network to the Oracle server which is setting on our customer's network.

Regards, Archie

Hi

With the inputs u have provided you can very well place the router next to the other one.

you can have one ip from the internal ip address configured to the Lan interface of the same.

regarding the WAN connectivity since its a point to point direct connectivity between ur network and the customer network you can make use of some private /30 block which shuldnt collide or clash with already exisiting address space.

from your office u can very well route the remote clients network (private network) via the P2P connectivity.

But do revert back whts the kinda connectivity is ther in place at the customer network ?

do they have a seperate router similar to ur setup over here or its going to be only ??

regds

Thanks again for your inputs.

It's not quite clear to me as to how to make sure that the packets from the client software (which will be installed on 6 PCs) will go to the LAN interface of the new router and to the gateway. Other packets from other PCs should no go the new router at all. The branch office network is 10.1.1.0 and gateway IP address is configured in DHCP server to be 10.1.1.1.

Regards, Archie

P.S. Are you originally from India? In my office (Muscat, Oman) there are tons of Indians here.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content