I have got

1 of Cisco 3560 (EMI) as Core Switch

1 of Cisco 3560 (SMI) as Server Switch

10 of Cisco CE500 as workgroup switches

4 of different brands workgroup switches

20 Servers

300 Users

10 different departments

My intensions are to create VLANs on 3560 Core Switch as Server, Finance, Marketing etc

and connect the the server and workgroup switches to the appropriate ports for their Defined VLANs on 3560Core switch.

I dont think i need to run VTP Server on core switch as i am going to have all VLANS within that switch?

Or Can anyone suggest what should be the best practice in this situation.

thanks

Muhammad

3 Replies 3

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

I dont think i need to run VTP Server on core switch as i am going to have all VLANS within that switch?

>> then you need to make the VTP a tranparent mode as you cannot create a vlan on a VTP client. I think maybe what you meant is you will have all user in a particular switch be in the same vlan, for example,

3560 1/1---vlan 5---CE500---users in vlan 5

In this case you do not need trunking .

Or Can anyone suggest what should be the best practice in this situation.

>> If your planned set-up is identical to above then this is an acceptable set-up and actually quite good for it's simplicity.

Please rate helpful posts.

thanks bosalaza,

Yes, thats exactly what i mean

3560 0/2(Marketing) -- VLAN 2 --- CE500 --- Users in Marketing in Vlan 5

Is there anyone else who can comment on this situation?

Hi!

Well if you are looking for 'best practice' for VLANs, my suggestion is still the same, that is to use VTP. Else if you just want to work without VTP, then make different VLANs on the core switch according to ur need. And then connect various workgroup switches to it after adding the respective VLANs on them too. Also as earlier suggested make all of them run in VTP transparent mode. Make sure all the switches are running in VTP transparent mode and NOT in server mode before all the final connections are made.

Please rate all the helpful posts.

Regards,

AbhisheK