Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Best way for changing IP addresses on serial connections:

I am looking at migrating to a new serial side ip scheme. What would be the best way to do this. I currently do not have dedicated support onsite at these remote sites.

Thanks,

4 REPLIES

Re: Best way for changing IP addresses on serial connections:

I'm guessing these are live routers you're talking about?

I would roll out the new IP scheme by using a secondary IP on each interface. Hope that helps!

Your assumption is correct. These are live boxes. I understand about applying the secondary addresses but when I take off primary and change secondary to primary. What would be the best way to execute this?

Only change one thing at a time and do it on the distant end first. It helps if you have more than one connection to your distant end so you can still telnet in once the change is made (in case something goes wrong). If you are telnetting in over the interface that is to be changed, you may find your local router console port unresponsive as soon as you execute the 'ip address' command over the telnet session. Something about the abrupt termination of a telnet session can cause real problems. Sometimes the only way to recover is to reload or telnet into your local router and issue a 'clear line cons 0'. If you really need to be safe, temporarily set up a dial modem for console/aux port access at all of your distand ends (or one at a time).

What I would do is the following:

1. Create a config file for the remote router with the new ip as primary and the old ip as secondary just for backup.

2. Upload the file via tftp as startup-config.

3. Then copy start to run or reload the router.

Hope this help.

Julio

Views
Helpful
Replies