Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to setup vlan's over routed 3550s

danletkeman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend the best way to setup a vlan across an already routed system. Currently my setup is as follows:

3550---WLAN---WLAN---3550---2950

The 3550's are connected via OSPF

What would be the best way to run a separate vlan across this system from the first 3550 to the 2950 without disturbing any other connections or systems?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

thomuff
Level 3
Level 3

Which 3550 is your vtp server? or are all your switches configured as vtp servers?

Which is the first 3550? The 3550 directly connected to the 2950 or the 3550 not directly connected.

WLAN meaing Wireless LAN? Do you have two access points connecting over a parking lot?

Why are you running OSPF across the Wireless LAN?

This is just part of a larger network. The wireless lan is a 18 mile link between two towns. I'm running ospf because we have other linux routers connected to the 3550's. Only the first 3550 is setup as a vtp server right now. The other 3550 is still at the default setting.

What state are you in? I am just curious where you could have 18 mile line of sight.

Canada

Thanks for replying. Didn't even dawn on me that you could be in another country.

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

Hello there,

using these 3550, you could change the routed interfaces (if this is the case) into trunks, create new SVI (interface vlans) and you would be able to span these vlans between the 2 sides with no problems.

HTH,

please remember to rate helpfull posts.

Vlad

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Why would you want to have your Vlan spread over the WLAN to your remote site. Imagine the kind of brodcast and other traffic that will travel across the wireless links to the other side.

When you already have OSPF running over the links, I would recommend to have your both 3550's do the intervlan routing for both the sides locally and have your communication from Site 1 to site 2 on OSPF.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Would you have a configuration example on how to do this? Or even some documentation I can read?

I might have also not made myself very clear on the initial post. I do have vlans on both of the 3550's. The 3550 on the left has VLAN2 and the one on the right has VLAN3. I would like to be able to create VLAN4 and have VLAN4 available on all of the switches but with leaving the OSPF routing as is.

So far the documentation I have been reading only talks about creating l2 trunks between the swtiches, and as far as I can tell you cannot do that on a routed port. So now I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks.

Dan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: