Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

BGP attributes LOCAL_PREF and MULTI_EXIT_DISC

Hello,

I have a very basic setup. two routers connected together via two links (one short hall ethernet circuit and one E1 between sited)

Running IBGP peering over both links. Both neighbors has route-maps with the setting for clarity.

If I do nothing, RTR2 to get to iBGP learned routes behind RTR1 will use the serial-link as the neighbor IP address is lower.

Now, I thought I may have two options to either set the MED (metric) or the local_pref with a route-map on RTR1 outbound to RTR2, but the MED option does not work. It sets the MED on rtr2 but the BGP table still uses the serial.

WILL MULTI_EXIT_DISC work with iBGP links? like I say, the values in the iBGP table on rtr2 reflect the route-map setting the MED which is config'd on RTR1.

CONFIG on RTR1 (no config for attribs on RTR2)

-------------SET-MED---------------------------------

!

router bgp 65001

neighbor 3.3.3.2 remote-as 65001

neighbor 3.3.3.2 route-map SET-MED-ETHERNET out

neighbor 2.2.2.2 remote-as 65001

neighbor 2.2.2.2 route-map SET-MED-SERIAL out

!

route-map SET-MED-SERIAL permit 10

match as-path 11

set metric 1000

!

route-map SET-MED-SERIAL permit 20

!

!

no route-map SET-MED-ETHERNET

route-map SET-MED-ETHERNET permit 10

match as-path 11

set metric 500

!

route-map SET-MED-ETHERNET permit 20

or

-------------SET-LOCALPREF---------------------------------

router bgp 65001

neighbor 1.1.1.2 remote-as 65001

neighbor 1.1.1.2 route-map SET-LOCALPREF-ETHERNET out

neighbor 2.2.2.2 remote-as 65001

neighbor 2.2.2.2 route-map SET-LOCALPREF-ETHERNET out

!

route-map SET-LOCALPREF-SERIAL permit 10

match as-path 11

set local-pref 80

!

route-map SET-MED-SERIAL permit 20

!

!

route-map SET-LOCALPREF-ETHERNET permit 10

match as-path 11

set local-pref 90

!

route-map SET-MED-ETHERNET permit 20

!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: BGP attributes LOCAL_PREF and MULTI_EXIT_DISC

Yes, MED should work on iBGP links.

What do the routes look like on rtr2?? Keep in mind that the MED is towards the end of the selection process *and* only compared from routes from the same neighbor AS. Either of these two factors may not be letting you reach the comparison point.

OTOH, LOCAL_PREF is compared at the start of the selection process *and* for all paths (regardless of where they came from).

To give you a definite answer, I would have to see the paths as seen by rtr2. If you don't want to post them here, you can send them to me directly: alvaro@cisco.com.

Regards,

Alvaro.

Please try sh ip bgp filter-list 11 to see whether the routes you want to set MED on match the ip as-path access-list 11.

Regards

Ian

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Yes, MED should work on iBGP links.

What do the routes look like on rtr2?? Keep in mind that the MED is towards the end of the selection process *and* only compared from routes from the same neighbor AS. Either of these two factors may not be letting you reach the comparison point.

OTOH, LOCAL_PREF is compared at the start of the selection process *and* for all paths (regardless of where they came from).

To give you a definite answer, I would have to see the paths as seen by rtr2. If you don't want to post them here, you can send them to me directly: alvaro@cisco.com.

Regards,

Alvaro.

Please try sh ip bgp filter-list 11 to see whether the routes you want to set MED on match the ip as-path access-list 11.

Regards

Ian

Views
Helpful
Replies