cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Bandwidth

nkariyawasam
Level 1
Level 1

My client has an idea of connecting multiple ISP's for internet access. The ISP has claimed that in order to run BGP between each of the ISP and the local routers he needs minimum of 512K link.

Is there any way ( by configuring BGP parameters ) to manage with 64K links ?

5 Replies 5

vcjones
Level 5
Level 5

No problem running BGP on a 9.6Kbps line if all you want is a default route from your ISP (to detect if the link is OK) and advertise a couple of routes to the ISPs (so they can detect if you are up). Just keep in mind that there is what is technically feasible and there is what your ISP is willing to sell you. The former usually only influences the latter negatively.

Good luck and have fun!

VIncent C Jones

Thanks,

I have another question. Is it necessary to terminate two ISP links at TWO local routers to prevent unwanted traffic be passing through local router ?

Hi,

In 1 router you can do what you want.

Regards

In regards to transiting traffic... No--this is a matter of filtering what you are advertising, rather than a matter of how many routers you have connected. Use an as-path access-list to permit only prefixes with an as path of ^$, and this should take care of your transiting worries. You can also use a prefix list to limit what you advertise to prefixes you are originating.

BGP will run fine over a 64k link, as long as your traffic doesn't overcome it.

Russ

Is it a must to have "Provider Indipendant IP's" to run BGP with multiple ISP's ? Can I also use private AS number for my installation in this scenario ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: