Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

BGP multihoming with a class C range

Hi all. I am looking to implement a BGP configuration across 2 seperate ISPs with a portable class C range across 2 seperate sites. There would be 4 routers and internet feeds all up comprising of :

Site 1 Router 1 - Connection to ISP A to be the primary route for traffic type 1 (a 28 bit subnet of the Class C public range)

Site 1 Router 2 - Connection to ISP B to be the primary route for traffic type 2 (a 28 bit subnet of the Class C public range)

Site 2 Router 1 - Connection to ISP A to be the backup route for traffic type 2 (a 28 bit subnet of the Class C public range)

Site 2 Router 2 - Connection to ISP B to be the backup route for traffic type 1 (a 28 bit subnet of the Class C public range)

I have a grasp of how I can determine the path out of our AS via local preference settings but I'm trying to get my head around how I can influence 2 ISPs on paths inbound. My understanding is that they will not advertise anything less than a class C range and therefore I would not be able to influence which 28 bit subnet of the Class C range gets routed to which site. Is it possible ISP public communities would offer that granularity ? Looking for clarification and suggestions ! Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES
Purple

Re: BGP multihoming with a class C range

Hi,

In such a case, one option is to use the MED parameter so that you get a bit of a split of traffic, at least from each ISP. The fact that you will not be able to split the /24 further means that your options are indeed quite limited in the inbound direction.

If you can negotiate with your ISPs to at least accept /28 from you but still advertise just the /24 out to the Internet, you can advertise the /28s with the NO-EXPORT community and that will get you what you want.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Thanks Paresh. I have come to the conclusion that the only real viable solution would be to get another Class C range and split the traffic types across both of those. I'm not too sure how easy it is to get another Class C range but this will be where I focus my efforts next ! I appreciate the feedback though. I agree MED is definetly viable for /24 masks and less but "negotiating" with carriers may be harder than getting a new range. At least you have given me a fall back plan. Thanks

Hello Dean,

I'm not sure I understood it quite well, but for the question:

I'm trying to get my head around how I can influence 2 ISPs on paths inbound

You could you 2 features:

MED

and AS-PREPEND

the "problem"with MED is that is best for using to compare routes on a single AS, so you be multi-homing to a single provider.

If you preprend AS on the routes you advertise to these ISP you can make them more or less desirable.

check the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cg/hirp_c/ch05/brbext.htm#wp1027195

Also for BGP desing I would suggest Halabi book, quite excelent reading.

Hope this will help.

Vlad.

Thanks Vlad. My problem here is in applying MED's or AS-path prepending on only a subset of the /24 bit range. I don't think ISPs are likely to act on them and route one /28 range one way and another /28 another way. I'm going to persue getting another /24 range and split the traffic over both /24, which will then satisfy the /24 mask requirements of the ISP's in their BGP implementations. Appreciate your feedback Vlad. Thanks

So, does it mean that you are advertising a /24 out?

because this can be done per route out?

if you are advertising /28 then each can be altered.

Vlad

We just got ourselves another C class when in the same situation....

Thanks. Think I'll be following suit. Appreciate the feedback.

Views
Helpful
Replies