Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

BGP Neighbor is the HSRP address. Will not establish peer connection

I am trying to join two LAN systems together using BGP over fibre. Don't ask me why I am using BGP. I have to as part of the design.

Both systems have two 6509 running HSRP. I can get them to exchange routing tables when configured with eigrp but when it comes to getting BGP to talk I am having big problems.

configs

building 1 router 1 & 2

router bgp 100

network 10.0.0.0

neighbor 30.0.0.254 remote-as 200

**** 30.0.0.254 is the HSRP address of the other system

building 2 router 1 & 2

router bgp 200

network 40.0.0.0

neighbor 20.0.0.254 remote-as 100

**** 20.0.0.254 is the HSRP address of the other system

I can get them to talk when I use a physical address for the neighbor but when it comes to HSRP it's no go.

I think it will not work but need clarification or a work-around

Regards

Barry

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES

Re: BGP Neighbor is the HSRP address. Will not establish peer co

Hi,

I'm not sure if you can create loopback interface on 6509 switch, but you can connect using loopback if you can create loopback interface on 6509 that is....

Good Luck .... :)

Dong

Bronze

Re: BGP Neighbor is the HSRP address. Will not establish peer co

My understanding (I couldn't find confirmation on the site) is that establishing a BGP session via HSRP VIPs isn't possible. It seems to me that it wouldn't be a good idea anyway -- if you have a BGP session active with a VIP and that VIP moves to another router because of a failover condition, the BGP session will drop because the secondary router had no knowledge of that session (the session was with the router that just failed). So I believe that the standard best practice here is to establish multiple BGP sessions between each pair of real/physical addresses.

Views
Helpful
Replies