cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP on 3660

reinke
Level 1
Level 1

Has someone out there experiences with a real multihomed network (two different ISPs) using cisco 3660 as border routers. Actually we will use two 2 Mbps links (E1), later there might be an upgrade to 34 Mbps (E3).

We want to take the full routing table! Someone told us that we have to use 2 cisco 7204. Nevertheless, cisco 3660 has enough DRAM to take all those routes an it should be able to support two 2 Mbps (34 Mbps) links.

Any objections using cisco 3660 instead of cisco 7204 are welcome.

Edgar

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Full internet routes approx consume 72 MB of DRAM. THE DS3 modules need a minimum DRAM of 64megs for Enterprise feature set IOS, or 48 megs for IP Plus feature set. I would recommend to go for a 3660 with 256 meg. The 3600 has only system DRAM, while the 7000 series have system DRAM as well as Packet DRAM(separate memory to store packets). The Packet DRAM slots depends on the type of NPE used on the 7200. Using two routers, will always be better, because it gives you router redudancy. Cost wise, 3660 would be cheaper compared to a 7200.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunatly I did not unterstand anything you have mentioned in your answer.

I thought every cisco router separetes between system memory and packet memory. The show version command lists the amount of packet and system memory.

With this in mind, the DRAM statement could not be an argument to buy two cisco 7204??? Therefore, are there any other aspects which should I keep in mind before ordering two cisco 3660?

I am looking forward to your answer.

Edgar

Every router, uses, system as well as packet memory. Most routers,share the main DRAM, for the packet/ system memory. The 7200 has separate slots for installing the Packet memory. That means, that they dont share the system DRAM for storing packets. These reside on the NPE of the 7200. I didnt mean to recommend buying 7204 just on the basis of system/packet memory. I was just trying to pitch in some difference between the memory models of the two routers.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thank you. That was really helpful!!!

Edgar