Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP on 4500 SupIV, or Implement BGP Routers into Cloud

john.brandis
Level 1
Level 1

G'Day All

Be brief. Have a situation for an important WAN site, that has its primary and secondary links to clud delieverd over ethernet. Ethernet service was going to be plugged directly into the 4506's SUPIV (dual 4506's) each, and run RIP-V2. However, on friday, Telco said only protocol supported is BGP. My question now is, would it be better, to implement 3725's as BGP routers towards the Telco, and either RIP-V2 or OSPF within the branch,,,,or simply stay as is, and enable BGP on the 4506's SupIV's, as I do have the IOS to do it....

Thanks all

John

Sydney, Australia

1 Reply 1

szahid
Level 3
Level 3

John -

Cat4500 SUPIV does support BGP in enhanced multilayer code with capacity to store 128,000 FIB entries , has a switching capacity of 64Gigs and throuput of 48Mpps. Besides BGP , the Enhanced multilayer code also run IS-IS , RIP , OSPF etc . So I do not see a need for changing to 3725 router. One thing to keep in mind though is SUPIV cannot hold an entire BGP routing table which is 200,000+ route table entries. It only holds upt 128,000 unicast routes.

Salman Z.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: