Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

BGP prefixes advertisement to customer

I have connection to 4 upstream ISP: ISP1, ISP2, ISP3, ISP4. I have a customer (CUSTOMER1) with their own AS and BGP peering with me, they need only prefixes coming from ISP1. When I peer with them and create a route map to advertise to them only prefixes coming from ISP1, they don't get the full route only prefixes which is the best path is ISP1 (2000+ prefixes). In my router connected to ISP1 I see 125000+ prefixes. In my router most of the best path is ISP2/3/4. How can I advertise all the 125000+ prefixes coming from ISP1 to CUSTOMER1? Please give me some sample configuration or direct me to links to those samples. Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: BGP prefixes advertisement to customer

I'm not sure this is possible. BGP only advertises best paths and I'm not aware of a way to tell it to do otherwise. Best paths are stored in the so-called Loc-RIB -- this is the data structure from which advertised routes are taken from.

Silver

Looks like your customer needs to directly peer with ISP1.

Thanks.

Here's how I would do it. It's probably not best practice but it would work:

1. On the inetrface that faces your ISP1 customer, policy route his traffic to ISP1's next-hop.

2. In addition to the partial prefixes, configure your session to the customer with "default originate". This will send a default route in addition to the other prefixes.

3. If you are worried about creating a blackhole for your customer should the link to ISP1 fail, you can make your default route conditional by using a route map. Configure the following:

route-map conditional permit 10

match ip address 1

access-list 1 permit x.x.x.x x.x.x.x ( link between your router and ISP1)

neighbor x.x.x.x default-originate route-map conditional

This will only send the default to your customer if your ISP1 link is up.

Good luck !

I just realized I probably didn't answer your question very well. The only way to actualy send this guy a full table and ensure that he traverses ISP1 wpould be to:

1. Remove the AS filtering outbound and policy route him to ISP1

2. Figure out a way to configure a VRF for him so he can have his own private table.

Thanks to all your reply. I already have a solution. I filter the incoming route from ISP1 and put a weight on it, the other ISP I use local preference. I move all the other customer to router 2 so that they see the other ISP as best path and only see 2k best path thru ISP1. I

Views
Helpful
Replies