Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP problem

Hi,

When i am entering AS at the end of the command "router bgp " it says "Protocol not in this image". I am running c3845-ipbase-mz.124-3e.bin IOS.Any help...

regards

Abhishek

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Abhishek

That error message indicates that the IP Base feature set that you are running does not include BGP. You would need to load an image - perhaps with the same version number - that does support BGP. Perhaps the Enterprise Services feature set, or the Advanced IP Services, or the Advanced Security feature sets would do for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Abhishek

That error message indicates that the IP Base feature set that you are running does not include BGP. You would need to load an image - perhaps with the same version number - that does support BGP. Perhaps the Enterprise Services feature set, or the Advanced IP Services, or the Advanced Security feature sets would do for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks i have upgraded the IOS of my router.Just for the curiousity sake , When i do

MyRouter(config)# router ?

it will show BGP as one of the protocol.

and when i do

MyRouter(config)# router bgp ?

it will show the range of AS numbers , and even if i give the AS number within the range it will still give me the error. so u sure that it doesnt include BGP.

regards

Abhishek

The way cisco stripped down the image was by taking away the protocol, not modifying the online help.

Rick was right on suggesting to upgrade the image.

Abhishek

I checked with the Software Advisor on CCO. It confirms that the image that you are running is the IP Base (without crypto) and confirms that this image does not include support for BGP. According to the Software Advisor there are images that do support BGP and even the 12.4 IP BASE WITH CRYPTO does have BGP support. So if you need to run BGP then you will need to change the IOS that you are running.

What you are experiencing here is that the on line help system knows about BGP and is giving the help you ask for about configuring BGP. But just because the on line help knows about BGP does not mean that that particular feature is supported in the particular image that you are running.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Abhishek,

The base for the IOS are same for all feature sets and hence you will be able to see most of the commands eventhough it may not be supported or executed on the box.

HTH

Narayan