cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP question

jefo
Level 1
Level 1

I have have a setup where BGP with AS "X" has received a route from AS "Y". I have to ways between AS "Y" and "X" . How do I get AS "X" to advertise this route back to AS "Y" when it has originated from "y"?

I hope you can help, thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The BGP loop detection takes place when the eBGP updates are received. So in your scenario, AS X will advertise the prefixes to Y even if the AS-PATH contains Y. AS Y would then see its own ASN in the AS-PATH and reject the prefix. Assuming that AS Y is discontiguous, you can use the following command to accept the prefixes even if the local AS number is part of the AS-PATH received from AS X:

neighbor x.x.x.x allowas-in

This would have the effect of using AS X as a transit AS between the disconguous parts of AS Y.

Care should be taken when using this command as it bypasses the regular BGP loop detection.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The BGP loop detection takes place when the eBGP updates are received. So in your scenario, AS X will advertise the prefixes to Y even if the AS-PATH contains Y. AS Y would then see its own ASN in the AS-PATH and reject the prefix. Assuming that AS Y is discontiguous, you can use the following command to accept the prefixes even if the local AS number is part of the AS-PATH received from AS X:

neighbor x.x.x.x allowas-in

This would have the effect of using AS X as a transit AS between the disconguous parts of AS Y.

Care should be taken when using this command as it bypasses the regular BGP loop detection.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi hritter

It was exactly this command that I needed. Everything works the way I want to now.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Best regards,

Jesper

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: