cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP question

cmaspe99
Level 1
Level 1

We are in the process of evaluating the use of BGP for our current network. We are in discussions with a wireless ISP to provide our second T-1. My question is they are going to hook us up by way of a ethernet connection. Any problems getting BGP to work properly? Also I have the Cisco 23640 with 32mb...should I upgrade to 128mb??? Thanks all

CA

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Memory requirements on router is a function of Number of routes present in the BGP table. So, if you are using full Internet routes, from your provider, you would need 128Megs.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Memory requirements on router is a function of Number of routes present in the BGP table. So, if you are using full Internet routes, from your provider, you would need 128Megs.

Full Routes usually consume upto 70-72 Megs of memory. And for the rest of the routines running in your router (like IGP and other stuff) would consume memory.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

vkasacavage
Level 1
Level 1

As was stated in the other reply, if you want to carry the full routing table, you will want to upgrade to 128megs. As for part 2 of your question.....you will want to know what other equipment the ISP is providing....usually you can talk to the ISP technical support people and explain how you want your connection to work and they will help you with your specific configuration

I figured as much just wanted to make sure I was prepared for any "known" pit falls. Thanks for the quick responses!

CA