Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Routes

cwy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I setup Multi Home with two ISPs. Both of them feed the default routes to me. By "sho ip bgp 0.0.0.0", I can found there are two default routes. However, when I "sho ip route 0.0.0.0", only one default was found. In the BGP configuration, I already setup "no auto-summary" and " maximum-path 2". My router is 2600 series and has 62MB memory. I think the memory is not the problem, but may be wrong. Please help.

Andy

4 Replies 4

t.baranski
Level 4
Level 4

I vaguely recall reading that the maximum-paths command only comes into play when multiple routes to the same destination are learned via the same AS. Don't know for sure if this is the case, though.

I'd suggest just configuring to static routes, one to each ISP. I believe they'll both be installed in the routing table automatically, and you can then load balance on a per-destination basis using either fast switching or cef.

m.gamal
Level 1
Level 1

i think for sure you will only see one default route when you issue the " sho ip route 0.0.0.0"

if you want to use the two ISP as load balance for upload , i think you should go to configure static route for the default route.

but if you want it to be as a backup, u can leave it as it is , and when one of the ISP falls, the other one will take place.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Is it means that although the two ISP send me the default routes, my router can only accept one default route in the routing table? If I want to configure the outbound load balancing, I must add two static default routes in the router, right?

Andy

As the two default routes are coming from different AS's, I'm not aware of another way to do this other than static routes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: