cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP with 2620 Router

mbaig
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 2620 routers, with one currently in use with a T1 connectin from an ISP. I would like to get another T1 from a different ISP to dual home the connection for redundancy. Can two 2620 handle BGP with each one connected to different ISP and HSRP enabled? or the 64M memory will not be enough to do BGP?

TIA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

Yes they will be able to handle it. They just won't be able to handle the full internet BGP table. So what you can do is just accept the default route from each ISP or accept partial routes from them (eg only the ISPs routes or the ISPs routes and it's directly connected customers routes).

An example for partial routes (ISPs routes only):

!

router bgp xxxx

neighbor x.x.x.x remote-as 701

neighbor x.x.x.x route-map test in

!

route-map test permit 10

match as-path 20

!

ip as-path access-list 20 permit _701$ (where 701 is your ISP's AS)

ip as-path access-list 20 deny .*

Hope it helps.

Steve

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Depends, on whether, you want to use full internet route from the ISP. Full internet routes approx use, 72 MB of RAM, considering, memory for IO and other process, in the router, I would recommend a 128 MB. The 2620 has 2 slots for memory, but i think the max you can put on a 2620 is 64 MB, with 32 each on each slot. So if you plan to get full routes, 2620 wont be able to handle it. You might want to consider using a 2650 or 2690 or 3620 for this purpose.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

Yes they will be able to handle it. They just won't be able to handle the full internet BGP table. So what you can do is just accept the default route from each ISP or accept partial routes from them (eg only the ISPs routes or the ISPs routes and it's directly connected customers routes).

An example for partial routes (ISPs routes only):

!

router bgp xxxx

neighbor x.x.x.x remote-as 701

neighbor x.x.x.x route-map test in

!

route-map test permit 10

match as-path 20

!

ip as-path access-list 20 permit _701$ (where 701 is your ISP's AS)

ip as-path access-list 20 deny .*

Hope it helps.

Steve

Thanks Steve!