Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

black holes

routers using auto summary with classless protocols (ie eigrp) don't generate a black hole, even when they have discontiguous IP networks. Instead, they summarize the two discontiguous networks, advertise a much larger route to the rest of the network, but retain the smaller, more granular routes of the discontiguous networks. Am I right so far?

When do black holes actually occur? When using RIP?

1 REPLY

Re: black holes

Black holes usually appeared when routes are not sychnorize in iBGP. For example. three routers in a network. Router A peer eBGP with ISP A and Router B peer eBGP with ISP B. Router C is a transit router that interconnect both Router A and Router B. There is no direct connection from Router A to Router B. The IGP in Router A, B and C is OSPF. When Router A learns a prefer route via BGP that is to be send via Router B, the packet will be forwarded to Router C. Router C without running BGP does not contain the routes and hence drop. This is a typically of black hole in BGP.

Hope I expressed myself correct.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content