cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Blocking OSPF LSA Flooding

sdross
Level 1
Level 1

Is it common or best practice for service providers to block lsa updates out of the interface that feeds customers or not? Are their any specific reasons why they would not block lsa's from reaching my home?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

They should have passive interface configured, so they won't form an adjacency over a customer facing interface. They should also have cdp disabled on their customer facing interfaces. There's no rason they'd want to exchange ospf with you, unless you are doing sham links/PE-CE, or an MPLS VPN tunnel through their network.

Russ.W

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

They should have passive interface configured, so they won't form an adjacency over a customer facing interface. They should also have cdp disabled on their customer facing interfaces. There's no rason they'd want to exchange ospf with you, unless you are doing sham links/PE-CE, or an MPLS VPN tunnel through their network.

Russ.W

Would you clarify sham links/PE-CE? I just have dsl service. Thanks for the quick response.

The best place to look is here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide09186a0080087ce2.html

At the very first, there's an explanation of what sham links are used for. I hope that helps....

:-)

Russ.W

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: