cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot System Command

pankajs
Level 1
Level 1

When i use command "boot system filename ipaddress" to boot a router from IOS stored on a network PC; do i need to care about how much flash is available on the router??

I have to try this on a router which already has an IOS in flash. The available flash space is 14 Mb and the IOS that I want to test is 19Mb. I do not want to delete the present IOS and want to test 19Mb IOS with boot system flename ipaddress command? Will this work??

3 Replies 3

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Pankaj,

When you are doing a netboot using" boot system filename ipaddress"" the router will boot from the image specified on the PC and will not use its own flash in that case, You should should have enough DRAM to support that image. If you dont have enough DRAM to load your image then your router might get crash.

Yes, it will work if you have specified the correct boot statement and you are able to rach the PC from where you are booting it.

HTH,

-amit singh

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi!

You will need the amount of DRAM that IOS supports.Also in case you are trying to migrate from eg.11.3 IOS to 12.3,then definately forget about this.

Regards,

JD

Thank you..there is enough DRAM. I was concerned about flash.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: