Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

boot system tftp, how to erase flash

I'm playing with loading the ios from another router. Using tftp-server on one and boot system tftp on the other. I can get it to start but it runs out of space because I can't figure out how to get it to erase flash. Even when I try to manually erase flash it says its read only. I can't see this would be much use in a production evironment without that capability.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: boot system tftp, how to erase flash

A little confused on why you're trying to delete the local flash if you are booting via TFTP.

It is possible you are using an older router model that runs the IOS from FLASH. Therefore you can't delete what's on the flash unless you are in rommon mode.

HTH

Re: boot system tftp, how to erase flash

Jackson,

When you configure your router to boot from a netwrok server....both compressed image (Which is orgiginal image you copied to tftp server) and expanded code should fit in to DRAM. If both cant fit in to your DRAM ...U may get the above error message.....The above is my assumption only

When you try to erase.....sonce it is in DRAM ...u cant erase it

Views
Helpful
Replies