cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

bootflash too small for image and bootldr (MSFC)

chris.adams
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has had any problem with NOT having a bootldr file present on the bootflash when booting an MSFC.

The problem is that the new enterprise image 12.1(13)E4 along with the bootldr file are too large to fit on the 16M bootflash. (hardware is a sup1a and an msfc) I know I can boot off of sup-slot0, but this is much slower and I have seen in the documentation that this method is not recommended.

The MSFC appears to boot and function correctly without the bootldr file being present on the bootflash, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has run into this, and how they handled it or what problems were seen.

Thanks

cma

2 Replies 2

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

cma,

This is a known issue, and for the MSFC2 there is actually a bootflash upgrade due to this issue to 32Mb. I am unsure what MSFC type you have so I thought I would send this as it might help you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_bulletin09186a00800a85a3.html

This is only for the MSFC2 though... Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Don

Don, thanks for the info. I have looked at that link before, unfortunately I'm not dealing with MSFC2s.

cma

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: