Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Booting a router

Is there a way to ensure that a 2800 router will boot if the Flash is corrupt.  Normally, I just boot an image from Flash.  I would like to add a command to the configuration to boot from a FTP or TFTP server if the Flash is corrupt.  I have discovered that I can FTP boot if the Flash is good but if I have a corrupt Flash, I cannot do the FTP boot either.  Is the image trying to be downloaded (FTP'ed) to the corrupt Flash before it is loaded?  Following are the commands I use in the router config, but if the Flash is corrupt the FTP will not proceed.  Any hints?  Thanks.

boot system flash c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-24.T4.bin
boot system tftp c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-24.T4.bin

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Booting a router

You have but two choices:

1.  Keep a spare CF handy; or

2.  USB Boot.  If you need to boot via USB, make sure your bootstrap is running version 12.4(13r)T or later.

NOTE:  The command "boot system usbflash0:", particularly the "usbflashX:" is a hidden command.

Community Member

My goal is to have a backup method that will be automatic if the flash load of the ios fails, due to a corrupt flash.  In the past, I reloaded a router that is several thousand miles away.  The flash was corrupt so the router went into ROMMON.  I was hoping that I could set up a FTP download of the IOS so that the router would not go into ROMMON.  However, my experience is that if the Flash is corrupt, the FTP will, also, not execute.  Is this correct?  Thanks.

Hall of Fame Super Blue

TO circumvent this, try to investigate into the two suggestions I've mentioned.

CreatePlease to create content