Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

BPDU

Hi all

this is regaring STP BPDU ...when i run a sniffer of my PC and sniff the THE ethernet ..i see BPDU messages there....y is this...?? y is my PC NIC recieving BPDU's??? it shud be with the swithces right

and tell me whether BPDU is sent on everyport??? i thought it shud be between the uplinks of the siwtches...and even i recieve ISL pakets...y is this??

Does BPDU whicgh is sent at every 2 sec add up to ur Trafic?

awaiting ur early reply

Regards

Raj

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: BPDU

BPDU's are sent on every port by default. Otherwise a switch wouldn't be able to detect when another switch is added to the network. I would imagine BPDU's are included in a port's traffic statistics.

I don't know offhand why you're seeing ISL packets though.

Check to see if you port is a trunk port or if maybe it is set as a mirror port destination. Some higher end switches (ie 4006, 4500, 6500) can disable sending and recieving BPDU on specified or all ports.

Let's also not forget that BPDUs are multicast. In your sniffer trace, take a look at the IP and MAC addresses and you will see that they are indeed multicast.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.