Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Breaking a large network into multiple vlans

I've inherited a 17 bit network space that currently has one vlan configured and an IP interface defined. (working on a core of 6509s, native IOS). So for example, the network has the range 10.1.0.0/17 and interface 10.1.0.1 is defined as the router.

I can create VLAN 2 and connect hosts within the same network range, thus keeping their traffic logically separated. How do I work the routing for VLAN 2? I cannot create a VIP for VLAN 2, because it will overlap with VLAN 1. Traffic will have to directed to one VLAN or the other on the return trip, based on which VLAN contains the MAC, so does the routing simply default ?

THanks for the advice.

3 REPLIES

Re: Breaking a large network into multiple vlans

Is there any reason why you cannot create smaller subnets within your address space ?

Chief architect of the system wanted a single, switched space across the core. I'm trying to justify whether or not the system can actually exist like that and be remotely efficient, or if further subnetting is absolutely essential.

Hi,

if it's ABSOLUTELY necessary to use IP addresses overlapping in different VLANs, you could try to involve NAT to translate VLAN2 addresses while routing out of it.

But it's a little complicated in Windows enviroment, e.g.

Regards,

Milan

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content