Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridging Over a Wide Area Network

manuforhsl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, All

I have two Lan Networks connected over a 64kbps Link. My problem is when I configure the routers (Cisco 2621xm) on the both sides for simple bridging.

It works fine for some minutes and drops the link. following is what I have configured in my routers.

RouterA RouterB

-------- --------

Interface ethernet 0 Interface ethernet 0

bridge-group 1 bridge-group 1

Interface serial 0 Interface serial 0

bridge-group 1 bridge-group 1

bridge 1 protocol ieee bridge 1 protocol ieee

Could anyone help me to find out why link is going down after enable the bridging. Is there anyway that I could bridge the networks without dropping the connection.

regards

Manoj

3 Replies 3

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

Manoj,

With the amount of information you've given this is hard to say the exact cause. I would think that Briding over a 64kbps curcuit might be over-running the link's capabilities (saturating it). Have you tried configuring this to be a routed link (also disabling all unneeded traffic (CDP/Routing protocols/etc)) rather than bridging to see if the link stays up? Some measurements or other "show" commands from your end might be more helpful for someone on the forum to help you correct this issue when you see the problem occur.

Hope this helps you,

Don

Thank You for your reply Don.

I have a routed IP in both the networks. when I ask to show the measurements from CPU Process it gives me a very negligable figures the following is the same from my router.

69 5384 116095 46 0.08% 0.02% 0.01% 0 HyBridge Input P

deos this help to find out the problem.

regards

Manoj

What is dropping, the physical link or the bridge? Does the IP still work? Check the interfaces for errors.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: