cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridging over Frame relay

kkasturi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have a situaton where i have to bridge Ethernet traffic over frame-relay multipoint interface. The Router is connected to 3 spoke sites and all connected through same Multipoint interface.

How do i do this ? I have Map statements for briding etc and everthinng looks fine.

Thanks in advance.

7 Replies 7

amdcent
Level 1
Level 1

Yes I have the same problem. I posted my question few days ago but no response yet. I guess it is better off trying this on other discussion groups where you can at least get your question answered.

I've read both of your questions and they're similar.

You can bridge over multipoint frame relay by using the "frame-relay map bridge" command. You need to be sure and add a bridge group to the interface (or sub-interface) that you've added the frame-relay map bridge command to. I also suggest that you use the "broadcast" keyword.

Also, be sure to add a bridge group to your other (probably ethernet) interface.

Remember that unless you disable IP ROUTING or enable IRB/CRB, you *cannot* bridge IP traffic!

Mick.

In this case how the bridge will overcome the following rule.

-If a bridge receives a frame in one port it will flood the frame to

all ports except to the port from where the packet came in.

Thanks

Thanks for ur answer.

I have the following doubt.The Bridge protocol follows the Split Horizon rule too.So when this is the case how will the protcol information go out on the same subinterface/interface even though its two diffrent DLCI's.

The link is a multipoint link,so when updates come in from R2(spoke) to R1 (Hub) it will not go out to R3 which is another spoke.

Am i msiing something ? i guess not. I have configured all the parameters you have said and also broadcast but it wont work ?

So what is the solution ?

r-godden
Level 1
Level 1

Looks like a tunnel is required

Faraz Shamim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Kas,

Why can't you use frame-relay p2p sub-intf? That should be able to resolve this issue.

Faraz

There is already point to multipoint interface with one subnet and existing two sites. What do we do then ? If its new for planning or implementation we can may be use p2p. What if there are other requirements forcing a p2mp.

Thanks for you answer.