Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

bridging

Dear All,

I have following setup in my company

2 Core 6506 Redundancy

3500 series distribution and access switches.

configured 20 vlan's in my network and having 130 switches. configured bridging in my network. but now i remove netbios from user's PC.

And in my network i hv Network printer which is running on MAC. if i remove bridging from my network it will affect on network printer. i mean network printer will not work if i remove bridging.

can anyone give me solution on this. coz i want to remove bridging from the network.

Thanks & Regards,

Ciscobuddy

2 REPLIES
Gold

Re: bridging

Are you bridging among the 20 VLANs to accommodate NetBIOS being a non-routable protocol? Are you routing other protocols, such as IP, IPX, AppleTalk? If yes, then the sooner you remove bridging the better, because I think NetBIOS or NetBEUI only has support for up to 255 unique addresses on a network; any more than that and you have problems. Since you have 130 switches then you must have many more PCs, so this could be an issue.

What kind of network printer is it? When you say you are printing to the network printer on MAC, do you mean you are printing to it by its MAC address (such as DLC printing, which must be bridged across VLANs because it is a non-routable protocol)? Or do you mean by MAC as in Macintosh printing (which you would have to bridge across VLANs if you were not routing AppleTalk)?

Most network printers that can be printed to directly can use several other protocols, even at the same time: for example, an HP printer with JetDirect network card can do IP, IPX, AppleTalk, and DLC printing. Maybe you just need to configure one of the other protocols, specifically one that is routed on your network.

Is this a Microsoft network, with Windows NT, 2000, or XP servers?

If you are printing to the network printer indirectly, for example through a server's print queue, then as long as that server can communicate with the printer you should be able to print to the queue across VLANs. That means, if the server is using a non-routed protocol to communicate with the printer, then it must be on the same VLAN after you remove bridging. If the server is using a routed protocol to talk to the printer, then the server and the printer can be on different VLANs. As long as users' PCs can connect to the server from other VLANs by using a routed protocol, then no matter how the server reaches the printer, you can send jobs to the printer via the server's print queue.

Hope this helps.

Re: bridging

The simplest solution would propably be to route AppleTalk to get the printer working with the Macs. Another possible solution would be to filter the bridging but that would be a bit more involved.

Finally, modern Macs can actually run TCP/IP just fine, though their users may think they need AppleTalk.

-A

Views
Helpful
Replies