Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Broadcast control

Hello,

My company is developing a product that relies on UDP broadcasts for client-to-server and server-to-client communications.

I believe I have solved the problem where a router is involved using the ip forward-protocol udp and ip helper-address commands.

My question is how this can be handled with a large switch divided into VLANs. Is there any way/command within the VLAN configurations to let a udp broadcast go from 1 VLAN to all the VLANs at the same time?

If not, does anyone have another suggestion as to how to do this?

Thanks,

Brian

3 REPLIES

Re: Broadcast control

Hi,

AFAIK, the only way is to involve a router with multiple ip helper-address commands.

Regards,

Milan

I think so too. I was just checking.

Does anyone know if Cisco has some sort of a router-on-a-stick that could be stuck into a larger switch for such purposes?

Thanks,

Brian

The ip helper-address and ip forward-protocol udp commands work under vlan interface.

We have a DHCP Server which resides on vlan 1 which can be accessed by users in other vlans.We have configured DHCP ip helper-address on all vlans.

Views
Helpful
Replies