Replies

Broadcast not getting forwarded from one vlan to another

ashish-rohilla
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have the follwoing network

ATM SW1---ATM SW2---ATM SW3---6509--3550

there are 3 ATM switches connected in triangle fashion and 6509 is connected to one of the ATM switch through a gigabit port on ATM switch. These ATM switches are not cisco switches. These ATM switches are connected to each other by using ELANs and using a single flat subnet of 140.140.x.x/16 and hence using a single vlan 1. The port on 6509 which is connected to one of the ATM switch is also in vlan 1 and having subnet 140.140.x.x/16. Rest of the config of 6509 is default. There is already a DHCP server on one of the ATM switch. Now when i move this DHCP server to a port on 6509 which is on vlan1 then the pcs connected in ATM network are able to get ips, it means broadcasts are reaching 6509 from ATM network. But when i create a new vlan on 6509 and give ip-helper acommand on vlan 1 and put DHCP in vlan2 then the pcs on ATM network not getting ips.

What can be the expected issue? Can anyone help ?

Thanx and Regards

8 Replies 8

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

The IP helper must be configured on the interface that is receiving the broadcast. Now I understand from the post that you configured the helper on vlan1. If this is correct, please change it. I am quite confident that this will resolve your problem.

Regards,

Leo

Hi Leo

I have configured it on vlan 2 also, but still not working.

Regards

Please verify your config with the aid of the attached example:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080114aee.shtml

Regards,

Leo

Hello,

are the PC´s that are not getting IP addresses located behind the non-Cisco ATM switches ? What brand/type are the switches ?

Regards,

Nethelper

Hi

The PCs are behind non-cisco(i.e. Marconi ASX 1000) switches, but when i put DHCP on vlan 1 on 6509 then pcs are able to get ips but when i change the vlan of DHCP to vlan 2 then pcs are not able to get ip frm DHCP.

Regards

Hello Leo

I have done exactly the same configuration like shown in the document. I will go to customer site and try to run debug dhcp on the 6500 and see whether i am able to get broad cast on vlan2 or not.

Regards

Hi,

just ensure whether the dhcp is reaching from 6509

and if so, try using this command on vlan 1

ip dhcp relay information trusted

or

ip dhcp snooping trust

Hope this help,

Rgs,

Balaji.V

DHCP is very well reachable as when i put DHCP in vlan 2 on 6509 itself then pcs behin ATM network are able to get ip.

ATM switches are Marconi ASX 1000 series switches.

Regards